Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I Didn't Sign Up For This, Man

One of my expectations of marriage are that there are "wife jobs" and "husband jobs". In our family wife jobs are things like: giving birth, changing diapers, doing laundry, washing dishes...that sort of thing. And husband jobs are: anything to do with cars, plumbing, computers, electricity....and cleaning gutters. Our gutters have needed attention for months. One of my customers teased that I needed to weed them (no, my husband needs to weed them, I replied). That was the last straw. I asked the husband which ladder I should use to climb up there? "Don't do it. I will", he replied. That was over a week ago. Apparently he meant that he would, just as soon as hell froze over. Today I was out weeding the parking lot when I glanced up at those damn gutters and could stand it no longer. I grabbed the closest ladder, a bucket, and a trowel, and climbed the 3 steps up to gutter level. Here I have already cleared out a big swath. It wasn't difficult, in fact it was very easy. There was so much composted debris in there that the roots of the plants had room to grow and spread. It was like pulling out chunks of sod.


And here is a close-up of how tall the weeds were up there. You could chop them for firewood, they were so big.


Next stop, the yarn shop, which is conveniently located across the alley. You guessed it. Those gutters were growing plants, too. Little scrub maples in this case.



It took all of 20 minutes. If you knew how afraid of heights I am you'd be super impressed. I did end up with a bunch of crap in my right eye, and now I'm all itchy.
So sweetie, you no longer have to clean those gutters. But it'll cost ya. And that moss is all yours.

No comments: