Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!


Robert Burns


Standard English translation:
But little Mouse, you are not alone,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes of mice and men
Go often askew,
And leave us nothing but grief and pain,
For promised joy!


Oh, don't I know it. You can do your homework, shop around, and get a fellow's word that he will accomplish a job, for a certain price, by a certain day. And that person will let you down more often than not. Such has happened with the fellow who I commissioned to build my chicken tractor. It is a very fortunate thing that I tried to contact him again, before Sunday, or I wouldn't realize until then that he has changed his mind. Not that he has said so, but it's what he is not saying that tells the tale. He is ignoring my emails and not returning my call. It should've been apparent that he was less than honorable when I caught him harvesting photos from another tractor builder's web site. Don't worry, he didn't get any of my money, so all it cost was a bit of time and frustration. All's well, that ends well. I managed to find this tractor which is less fancy but half the price, and it's located right here in Tacoma.






I have an appointment to go purchase it tomorrow morning. I am still on schedule for having 3 chickens in my backyard by Sunday. I am getting a pearl white leghorn, like this one,


also a production red, and a black star. At least that is the plan....and you know how those go.

No comments: