Friday, January 6, 2012

My Singer 600E


I've added another vintage Singer to the herd. This time it's a Singer 600E. One of the last good Singers, with metal gears. The seller only wanted $20 and the machine came with a case and lots of accessories. From what I understand the 600E is virtually the same as the 401 and 500A machines, except with the "Touch & Sew" feature. I already own a 500A Rocketeer so really didn't "need" this machine. What pushed me over the edge? It came with this monogramer. I figure that's worth $20 all by itself.


It also came with 4 (yes, 4) buttonholers (I will probably sell a couple of those), a bunch of those clear bobbins, various feet (some original and some after market), a complete cam set, a spare light, and this stuff.


2 different walking feet, a ruffler, and something I hadn't heard of before, a circular stitcher. I am really curious about that last item. Unfortunately there are no instructions for it, and I'm not sure I can figure it out on my own. I have the manuals for the buttonholers and monogramer but the seller could not locate the manual for the machine. However I was able to find a free PDF manual for the 600 on the Singer web site.

This same seller also has some Elna Supermatics for sale. I may just have to mix things up and add an Elna to my collection. We'll see. In the meantime, here is today's haul of bartered fabric. Look! Chickens!

2 comments:

Donna said...

There is a very nice lady named Charlene that posted some tips on using the Circular Stitcher: http://thesewbox.blogspot.com/2009/09/circular-stitcher-by-singer.html

If you can afford $4, she has the original Singer instructions available: http://www.thesewbox.com/catalog/item/6067450/7305186.htm

I've bought feet for my 500A from Charlene & she is true blue honest. I think she charges the $4 just for offsetting the costs of all her free stuff. She has a lot available for Singers. (I have a 500A & my housemate has a 600.)

crazihippichic said...

Thanks. I think I have seen her offer of the circular stitcher instructions and will probably take her up on it. :-)