Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fancier Is Not Always Better

When we purchased our current home, 4 years ago, I was able to get all new appliances. I had heard nothing but good things about the Whirlpool DUET Washer & Dryer, so decided on those for my laundry room. I had previously owned a Maytag NEPTUNE set, and was not happy with them. The washer never emptied fully and as a result mold and mildew was a problem. Little did I know that the Duet would be even worse. There was always water left in the machine. The clothes never looked clean. And the towels would smell awful as soon as they got wet, as in when you dried off after a shower. My husband's nose is very sensitive to molds and he was constantly complaining about the stinky towels. This was very frustrating for me. But the kicker was when the bleach dispenser malfunctioned. I washed a load of whites, with bleach. Immediately after that I washed a load of my husband's dark work clothes, including his black tee shirts. Imagine my horror when the bleach was released during the load of dark clothes and all his black tee shirts had ugly orange spots on them. I finally decided to get rid of my washer & dryer. I put my set up on Craigslist and was able to find someone who was thrilled to trade me for their top loading set.

In the meantime I had stopped using my washing machine and began hand washing everything. I learned how to make my own laundry soap and once I worked out the kinks I discovered that my clothes were much cleaner and that hand washing really isn't that difficult. I will share more on this in my next post, including my recipe for home made laundry soap that really cleans and brightens your clothes.

No comments: