Saturday, October 13, 2012

Two Huge Boxes of Patterns!

Or...How My Mail Lady Got A Hernia. All my sewing friends, prepare to be jealous and hate me very much. These are what arrived on my doorstep this afternoon and man, are they a couple of heavy suckers. It cost the sender $43 to ship them parcel post.


That's right, 2 good sized cardboard boxes packed full with uncut sewing patterns. SQUEE!!!! How much did I pay for them? Absolutely nothing. This lady was cleaning out her craft room and no longer wanted the patterns. All she asked for was the shipping cost and she was willing to barter. I happened to have an unworn pair of hand knit alpaca socks in just her size. Someone had knit them for me a couple of years ago but they had knit them about 1.5" too short for my big feet. The yarn cost over $20...and then you have to factor in what it would cost for someone to knit them. I figured they were worth between $40 and $60. So that is how I turned these....


...into over $500 worth of sewing patterns (and that would be if they were on sale). I can't stop saying, "wow!" The coolest part is they are almost all my size and things I would actually sew and wear. Or things I would sew for my daughters. These are recent patterns, very up-to-date. Now to try to find some place to store them. If I try to buy more patterns my husband has permission to shoot me on the spot.

2 comments:

Sketching with Dogs said...

Oh my goodness! What a great swap. You will be making clothes for the rest of your life from all those patterns.
Lynne

crazihippichic said...

I know!!!! This has got to be my best barter ever, ever. The joke is kind of on me, though. I've spent the past 2 days trying to get all my patterns sorted and organized. They'll do me no good if I don't know what I have or how to find it. So many great dress and suit patterns. There's no way I'll live long enough to even sew half of these.