Monday, December 19, 2011

Thrift Store Finds For 12-19-2011

Today I paid a visit to a couple of my favorite thrift stores. The first was St. Vincent De Paul. This particular store usually culls out the best items and offers them on Ebay. But they don't always recognize quality items. This is the same store where I found my gorgeous faux fur coat for $12. Today I was surprised to find this gem tucked in among the more mundane sweaters. It is an Aran fisherman knit, 100% wool, made in Ireland by Aran Crafts. Their sweaters sell for $100 and up. I checked it all over, looking for some kind of obvious blemish. A stain or a moth hole? Nothing. Granted, it was used but gently so. Certainly worth more than the $3 it was marked. And since today they were offering 50% off all clothing I took it home for a mere $1.50.

Yes, it's a man's sweater but it fits me so it is now transgender. I'm not bothered that the buttonholes are on the wrong side. I couldn't leave it there to be unappreciated. That wasn't all I found at SVDP.

I found some fabric.
(above)
2 1/2 yds. brown/blue floral ($.49)
4 yds. solid green ($.69)
4 yds. green multi ($.69)
(below)
1/2 yd. red floral ($.49)
1 1/4 yds. bleached muslin ($.49)
3/4 yd. gold bees ($.49)
1 1/2 yds. red/green plaid ($.49)

Close-up of bee print.

I also found 5 patterns for $.19 each,

seam binding and bias tape for $.10 each,

a Tupperware funnel for $.20,

and this cool cross-stitch kit for $1.99.

It's going to be a bit like cheating because the design is pre stamped and you just embellish it with the cross-stitch. But it's a Singer treadle sewing machine! Besides, I'm not feeling up to doing a whole cross-stitch picture. I did enough of those back in the 80's. I almost didn't get the later as someone had torn open the package and removed the floss. But I was able to locate it on the shelf and rejoin it with the kit. Total spent at SVDP? Less than $10.

On to my second stop. I don't even know the name of this store. I just refer to it as the Hispanic thrift store. It's a bit of a chaotic mess but there are bargains to be had if you don't mind digging around. Here are my finds.

Some more fabric:
3 yds. blue calico ($2.50)
2 yds. penguins ($1.25)
2 yds. Indian print ($3)

4 more patterns ($.39 each)

A  jar for Reggie's cookies. ($2)

A cotton blouse for me. ($3.50)

And a smock apron to wear when I am sanitizing beer
bottles so I don't splash bleach on my good clothes. ($1.25)

I think I spent about $16 at this second store. Not a bad haul for $26.

No comments: