Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Wow, That Was Fast!

When I decided to get some bantam chickens, the plan was to breed Ameraucana/Easter Eggers. The kind with the green eggs. For some reason, my husband is very fond of those eggs. And if he wants green eggs, green eggs he shall have. But I am also a tightwad, and can't see spending very much for chickens, when folks practically give them away. I especially refuse to buy a rooster. Because I want a free rooster, and don't want to pay more than $5 for a hen, I thought it would take me quite a while to build my little flock. So when I saw an Ameraucana hen offered, I jumped at the chance. But you can't have a single, lonely chicken. And there is no more room in the tractor. Pinky needed to have a Fonz. And that adorable Red Cochin boy was available. I knew he would be temporary. I just didn't know HOW temporary. I've only had him two days. And I've already located a free bantam Araucana rooster and another $5 Ameraucana hen. You've gotta make hay while the sun shines, so the little red fella must move on. Luckily my friend Kristine just happened to be looking for some new rooster blood for her flock. So tomorrow he'll go live with her large group of lady chickens, and this pair will come to roost with the Willoughbys.




We'll be sad to have to see the red Fonz leave but I am satisfied he's going to a good home. And I will have a matched set of green egg laying chickens. Now to find one or two more banty hens, with at least one being a broody girl, and we'll be all set.

No comments: