Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Scalp Hates Conditioner

Actually my scalp hates most commercially available hair care products. Shampoos, conditioners and leave-ins/hair dress. And if it weren't for TLHC I would have no idea. I have suffered from scalp psoriasis for 32 years. I thought I was sensitive to my hair oils. Never guessed it was the hair products that were triggering it. I've used all the over the counter psoriasis shampoos as well as many things prescribed by dermatologists (none of whom ever even hinted I might have a sensitivity to shampoos or conditioners). I tried baking soda/cider vinegar (ACV), in the past. Made my hair itchy and straw like. Back to the shampoo and conditioner I went. Then I found The Long Hair Community (TLHC). I was intrigued by CO (conditioner only washing). I knew there was a bit of an adjustment period (6 weeks) so chalked up the greasy and itchy scalp to that. I had been CO for about 3 weeks. And was going for 3 days between washing. On wash day I would shed like mad, combing out an alarming number of shed hairs (it is normal to shed up to 100 hairs per day but this seemed like more than that). The other 2 days, with no washing, shedding was minimal. My scalp was getting so gunky that I decided to shampoo (non-SLS). I used my Avalon Organics Lavender and an ACV rinse. No conditioner. My hair was FABULOUS (not oily), my scalp was itch-free, and I shed just a wee bit. The second day my hair and scalp were still clean but my ends were dry (they had been commercially dyed in the past). I over oiled with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). Yesterday I decided to CO wash to remove some of the extra oil. OMG! My scalp immediately began to itch as soon as the conditioner was applied. I left it on for 30 minutes and CO washed. When I was combing my hair out I noticed that my scalp was inflamed and I shed a huge amount. My scalp was so itchy that I had to immediately rewash with the Avalon shampoo and use ACV as a rinse. Now my scalp is feeling better. No more conditioner for me. Ever. Don't get me wrong. CO washing is a valid option and many of the ladies on TLHC swear by it. But I am obviously allergic.

Here is my current hair care regime:

Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender Shampoo (every 3 days)

Vinegar Rinse (1 Tbs. Apple cider vinegar to 2 cups water)

EVOO (applied to scalp and hair length the night before shampooing. I braid my hair and sleep on it. Use a sleep cap so you don't muck up your pillow). I also use a VERY LIGHT amount of this on my ends, when needed. Be careful. It's easy to over oil.

Rooibos Tea (1 tea bag to 1 cup of water, steeped, cooled and placed in a spray bottle). I spritz this on my scalp after washing my hair, and on my scalp each night before bed.

BBB (Boar Bristle Brush) I make sure to brush 100 strokes per night, before bed.

Satin Pillowcase - Is gentler on your hair and reduces the amount of lint your hair collects. I was brushing out a lot of lint, each evening, before I switched.

Last night my husband took me out to dinner to celebrate my retirement. I wanted my hair to look pretty so I kept it braided all day.

This gave me lovely braid waves.

BTW,  my hair has grown 1 1/4" so far this month. I will have the husbeast measure my length on July 1st and report back.

No comments: