Monday, May 30, 2011

Birds Do It. Bees Do It. What About Pond Fish?

Yes, they do it, too. I am elated to announce that I am going to be a grandma. Lenny and Squiggy are in a family way. I have always known they were very affectionate towards each other. Sure, they are the only two fish in the pond. But still. They are always side by side. And this year I noticed that their bodies were shaped differently from one another. Lenny is short and squat while Squiggy is longer and leaner. And recently Lenny has been looking very bloated. I remember asking my friend, Kristine (who knows a lot about fish, having worked in a fish store) whether my fish would spawn and if so, at what age? She didn't seem hopeful, since my pond does not have a shallow area. It is a wine barrel with a plastic insert. But it DOES have a potted pygmy water lily, and apparently that was good enough for this amorous pair. Today I noticed that Squiggy was pestering poor Lenny more than usual. He is following her like a shadow, and at one point he almost pushed her up out of the water.


After I filmed this, I looked closer and saw the evidence of their love. Little eggs all over the side of the pond, and also all over the top of the water lily's pot.


The bees are having a busy weekend, too. They are bringing in pollen like nobody's business. It's hard to see, because they move so fast, but pay attention to the one bee that lands on the cinder block, near the end of the video. Look at her hind legs. See the pollen?


No comments: