Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chard, Chard, Everywhere

Can one have too much Swiss chard? It seems to be growing faster than I can eat it. And I'm eating quite a bit. This is the chard that's ready.


And I have about the same amount of rainbow chard that isn't yet mature. But once it gets going...watch out. I may have to start dehydrating some, to add to soups this fall and winter. Today's recipe was supposed to make a dent in the chard population but the above picture was taken AFTER I picked the 6 large leaves used in the quiche. So much for that plan.

QUICHE WITH SWISS CHARD & SWISS CHEESE


4 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
6 large leaves of Swiss chard, roughly chopped
1/4 large sweet onion, minced
1/2 Tbs. olive oil
Additional olive oil for greasing quiche pan

In large bowl, beat eggs with a whisk. Beat in milk, salt and pepper. Stir in cheese. Heat oil in skillet and saute chard and onions until chard is wilted. Don't overcook. Stir the chard and onions into the egg and cheese mixture. Pour into a greased baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut, serve and enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy, I didn't know what to do with my chard this year. I'm going to try this recipie

luvewe said...

It was pretty darn yummy. Let me know how you like it.