Monday, April 9, 2012

Kenmore Model 1422

Today I stumbled upon a thrift store that actually had some sewing machines. 3 of them. A Singer Touch & Throw (aka Touch & Sew), a New Home and this Kenmore. The Kenmore looked complete but someone had decorated it with a Sharpie (and a kitten decal for good measure). I decided to pass it up but once home I told the husbeast about it. "You can take permanent marker off with alcohol. I have a spray bottle full. Let me get it for you." Back to the thrift store I went. Sure enough, with a little elbow grease and alcohol the marker started to come off. I tested the machine and it ran, so I paid my $16.99 and brought the poor, humiliated Kenmore home.

 Before.

After.

It has stretch stitches and the feed dogs lower. Not bad for less than $20 and a little elbow grease. I got some other goodies at that same thrift store.

This black leather AmeriBag for $5.99.



And I got this nice office chair for $5.99.


I picked up a darning foot and some quilting gloves from the Sew & Vac Store. $15 for a dinky sewing machine foot?


Then I checked out Hancock Fabrics. They had their Butterick patterns on sale for $.99 each. I picked up 4 retro looking patterns and a couple of modern ones.


2 comments:

Lynn said...

Hi Hippie Chic! I have this same machine, my mother bought it brand new in 1974 so that I could take her machine to college with me. I have a Singer that is almost brand new and is a lot fancier, yet prefer to sew on my Kenmore. If you ever decide that you don't want this machine, I would like to purchase the foot pedal and electronics from you, please. Seriously. lrhodes253@gmail.com

crazihippichic said...

Hi Lynn, I'm afraid I have already sold this machine. I upgraded to a Kenmore 1753. This machine found a home with a friend who is a new seamstress. Keep your eyes open on the local Craigslist. You may be able to find a Kenmore very inexpensively and use the foot pedal from it.