Sunday, July 3, 2011

Adjusting To Retirement

I still feel a bit like a fish out of water. I am used to having a certain routine and that is gone. Time to create a new routine. But it will take a bit to find my rhythm. I haven't been doing much. Just slowly trying to catch up on things around the house and garden. I had a group of knitting friends over on Friday, which made me have to get most of the house company ready. But before they arrived I fixed the husbeast and myself some Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing for lunch (spinach and mushrooms from my CSA box, eggs from my hens).



Saturday was gorgeous and really, really hot. I took advantage and did lots of laundry so I could hang it out to dry.


I made omelets for brunch (bacon, onion, green pepper, Mexican cheese blend). For dinner I made a roasted beet salad with walnuts and goat cheese (beets from CSA).


I've been meaning to share my "garbage corner". The black bucket is for recyclable items, which then go outside into the blue container provided by the city. They empty it every other week. The big white container is for kitchen trash. Because I am such a good recycler we only fill this up once per week. The small white container is for kitchen scraps that will be fed to my composting worms (red wigglers). I have 2 multi-level worm bins going in my garage.


Inside the worm food container.
The black bucket lifts out.


I forgot to take a picture of my first CSA box from Full Circle. It was supposed to arrive overnight and be on the porch by 6am on Wednesday. But when my hubby got home at 11:30 pm Tuesday, there it was. And it's a good thing he pulled up when he did, because some strange guy was just crossing the street, heading for my house. He would've stolen my organic veggies. That's Tacoma for you. Note to self, "Turn off porch light on Tuesday evenings." It's a small porch and the CSA folks drop the box of produce there. With the light on it's like a beacon. But there really isn't anywhere else for them to leave it. Anyway, I'll be sure and take a picture of the next one. The produce was gorgeous and some of the tastiest I've ever had. Speaking of tasty produce, here are some pictures of recent harvests from my own garden.

Snow Peas

Strawberries (I only get this many per day,
but have already filled a freezer bag).

And my first raspberries of the season.

When it's hot I like to have a light dinner. Salads are a summer favorite. This is the one I had tonight. (Mixed salad greens, beefsteak tomato, green onions and cremini mushrooms from CSA)


I was still a bit hungry so added this sliced baguette brushed with
garlic & olive oil, then toasted, and some smoked steel head.


I want to wish you all a Safe and Happy Fourth!

No comments: