Friday, January 28, 2011

A Very Eventful Day

When I woke up this morning I had no idea the day would be so enjoyable. I bribed the husbeast, with an espresso, in return for his running me around on my errands. I had to go to the post office, to mail a couple of patterns, but I also wanted to go pick up a legless flamingo. Plastic, of course. It was offered on Freecycle and I've always wanted a plastic flamingo for my yard (Lord only knows why) so I jumped at the chance to add this poor amputee to my yard art menagerie. First order of business was to fashion him some proper legs. I found a wire hanger in the closet and, 3 snips of the wire cutter later, here he is.


Once at work things were pretty busy. Midway through the day a friend arrived with 3 boxes of wine bottles, some t-shirts, and a bar of her homemade soap. Sweet! As if that wasn't good enough, another friend arrived shortly after bearing a bag full of egg cartons, some empty jars with lids, and imported cookies from Deutschland. That's pretty wonderful, right? But there's more! The UPS man delivered my beekeeping supplies!!! Most of it is plastic frames and unassembled hive boxes and I won't get a chance to sort through it until Sunday. But here you can see the smoker, bee brush and hive tool on top of the middle box.


My bee mentor, Kristine, showed up and as we were hanging out who should waltz in? The Pipe Tart! A Facebook friend from Ohio. Now usually, if a female is into tobacco pipes, she's a character. And I adore characters. We had a nice visit. Before I knew it, it was time to head home. After I fed the cat I went in to check on my most recent wines. The apple wine is still not doing much (sigh). If it doesn't pick up in the next day or two I may just toss it. But the orange/banana wine is doing so well that I fear it may crawl out of the crock pot and attack me. It's a pretty robust ferment.

No comments: