Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cookies For My Best Friend


Now that we are venturing into all grain beer brewing we are going to have LOTS of spent grains left over. I hate to waste anything so will be looking for creative ways to use this malted barley. It makes great chicken food, and I've also added it to my bread. But I am looking for still more ways to use it to its best advantage. Today I decided to try out a recipe for dog treats. Reggie LOVES cookies but I'm sure the store bought dog treats contain things I'd rather he not ingest. There used to be a doggy bakery up on South Hill in Puyallup but sadly, it is now out of business. Time for momma to pick up the slack. For those of you who are wondering just what spent grains look like, here they are.


I had over 30 cups of this stuff left from the Harry Porter brewing. The recipe for the dog cookies is as follows:

4 cups spent grains
4 cups unbleached flour
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs

I mixed this up with the help of Gladys, my Kitchen Aid Mixer. She had a tough time. This batter is DENSE, to say the least. Here is what I ended up with. Looks like something only a dog could love.


I divided it in half. The plan was to make 2 cookie sheets full. Trust me, it was not easy to spread into the cookie sheet. It took both the rolling pin, and my hands, to make it happen.


But we prevailed. Once spread evenly it had to be scored into the cookie shapes. I'm unimaginative, so opted for squares.


This was baked at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Then removed from the pan, broken into pieces, and allowed to cool. While this batch was cooling I baked the second pan full. Once they were both baked and cooled I loaded the cookies into the dehydrator.


The 2 cookie sheets filled all 4 trays. Now they were dried at 160 degrees for 8 hours. You need to remove all the moisture or else they will mold while being stored for the long term.


By the way, Reggie sampled them and he thinks they are DE-licious.

No comments: