Tuesday, January 4, 2011

First Bread With Spent Grains

Now that we are brewing our own beer we have lots of spent grains left over after sparging. I want to use them for more than chicken food. A friend mentioned using them to bake bread. Unfortunately the grains are rather woody and chewy, due to the hulls. I don't think I'd want to use too much of it in my bread, unless I dried it out and ran it through the grinder. But a small amount of spent grains would add some nice texture (like nuts) and some fiber. After our last batch of beer making I saved out one cup of the spent grains to add to this week's bread. Here is my regular bread recipe, but I substituted 1 cup of whole wheat flour for the unbleached flour, and added in a cup of the spent grains along with the flour. Now to see if the family eats it.

No comments: