It's official. We are going to buy that schoolhouse in Winlock, WA. Providing it passes the inspections, of course. The septic has already been pumped and inspected because the property had a previous sale fail due to lack of funds. That just leaves the house and the well. We have looked the house over and I can't see any issue that would cause it to fail. It seems to be structurally sound. It was built in the 30's, when there was still pride in craftsmanship. It was a schoolhouse, so it isn't fancy, but it is sturdily built. Because it has a full basement we are able to see the beams and they are huge.
This has been a stressful couple of weeks. We made our initial offer on the property back on Dec. 27th. We are used to negotiating with individuals when buying a home. We start low. Fannie Mae doesn't work that way. It is either a YES or a NO. They don't counter. After waiting a full 10 days our first offer was rejected. They were waiting to see if they got any other offers....and they did. We were then asked to make our last, best offer. This we did the very next day. That was this past Tuesday. Yesterday (Friday) we got word of their preliminary acceptance of that second offer. We are now waiting to receive the signed papers before we schedule the inspections. We are assured the papers are in transit.
Yesterday I was finally able to relax. That waiting process was 2 weeks of pure torture. Now we can finally breathe easy and begin planning in earnest. Today we will go look at some paint swatches. We are excited to begin this new chapter in our lives. It's going to be a labor of love. Here are some more photos of the property. I will post some interior photos once I am able to revisit the property, probably not until the inspection.
That's all for now. I will update just as soon as I have something more to share.