Saturday, October 1, 2011

Empty (?) Nest

This year has been full of life changing events. First my retirement at the end of June. And now my youngest child has left the nest. I gave birth to my first child at age 20 and have had children in my home for all of my adult life. I've got to say, having a child free house is pretty damn sweet. The peace and quiet is wonderful. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't trade my kids for anything. However I am definitely going to enjoy this stage in my life and am happy that it is coming at the end, rather than at the beginning of my adulthood. The trend today seems to be to wait until your late 30's or 40's to become a parent. But at 52 I am still young enough to enjoy my new found freedom. I had always imagined that, once the kids were moved out, Rick and I would be rattling around in a big empty house. Not so! We both have so many hobbies that the house is still full. In fact I will be bringing home a new toy today. Here is the spot where it will live.


I am bringing home a handmade Swedish style 8 shaft countermarche floor loom. I plan on teaching myself to weave this winter, now that the gardening is finished for the year. This new loom will be the focal point of my home. I will introduce you to her once she is here and set up.

No comments: