Friday, August 10, 2012

Canning Applesauce

Happy sauce. That's what I used to call it when my kids were little. I only have one fruit tree and it's a good one. I have no idea what type of apples these are but they are delicious. Perfect for pies, crisps, or applesauce. How do you make applesauce? It's so  easy. Wash and core your apples and put them into a very large pot with about an inch of water in the bottom. Just enough water so they don't burn. Now cook them over medium heat until they are soft and falling apart.


Then get out your trusty Foley food mill. 


Put the cooked apples through the mill, discarding the peelings that are left behind. Once you've turned the apples into sauce add some sugar to taste (I added 1 1/2 cups). I also like some cinnamon in my applesauce so I added 1/2 Tbs. Stir it well and heat it through.


 Now you are ready to can it. Fill your jars leaving 1/2" head space and process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes. I bought myself a nice commercial quality induction burner so I can do my canning outside.


Here is the fruit of today's labor. 6 quarts and a pint.


There was also a little left over for me to sample. Yum!




No comments: