Thursday, May 24, 2012

White Knuckle Time

I waited until this morning to attempt inserting the zipper. This isn't something I want to try when I'm tired. I pulled out all my sewing books and read about zippers. None of those techniques seemed to apply to this project. I reread the pattern instructions, trying to visualize what they wanted to accomplish. There was to be no top stitching other than the decorative saddle stitching (which I had opted out of). The first thing I needed to do was tack down the top edges of the zipper tape.


Next I was to open the zipper and lay the zipper face down on the right side of the fabric with the zipper teeth to the outside of the seam line. Before I could do that step I'd need to baste the seam line onto the fabric. Note to self: This would be much easier to accomplish before sewing that back seam.


It would also be easier to see if I used a contrasting thread. Now to lay the zipper down with the teeth over the seam line so that when you fold back the seam the teeth will clear the fabric. Pins are your friend.


Now for the fun part. Use your zipper foot to sew a 3/8" seam. Take your time. It's not a race. You don't want to have to rip this out.


Repeat for the left side of the zipper. Remove your basting stitches, place the dress on the mannequin and enjoy your handiwork. And don't forget to breath. All that's left are the lining and hems. You can do it!


No comments: