Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sleep Shorts For My Daughter


I owe my middle daughter a handmade birthday dress. First I wanted to practice on a couple of simpler projects to knock the rust off my sewing skills. I haven't sewn a garment since the early 90's, unless you count Reggie's little shirts. I decided to sew 2 pairs of sleep shorts for my youngest daughter. These are quick, easy projects and will allow me to get comfortable with my Kenmore sewing machine. Today I sat down to make the first pair.


I combined 2 patterns to come up with these draw string boxers. They require no elastic. My daughter had complained about the fabric I chose for her shorts. "That's ugly." Who cares? They're sleep shorts, not Victoria's Secret. They just have to be comfortable. Besides, I don't want to use expensive fabric to practice on. I picked up this blue patterned flannel for $.99 at the thrift store. Someone had allowed their child to scribble on it with a red marker. Even though I washed the fabric in hot soapy water, as soon as I got it home, that stubborn marker didn't budge.


No worries. I was able to cut around it. There was plenty of fabric for the shorts and I'll have enough leftover to make some doll nighties. Because my daughter complained about not liking the fabric I thought I'd dress up the edges of the shorts with some decorative top stitching. Perhaps that will be to her liking.


I think the shorts turned out cute and I plan to make her another pair out of this material, below. Yes, it really is ugly. But it's nice thick flannel and should be quite cozy. I think I'll trim it with "goldfish" top stitching in bright orange. That'll be fun.


Here's poor Millie, my 1912 Singer Red Eye. I got her moved into the corner of my sewing room. I hope to have her up and running very soon. I just have to clean/oil her, and hook her belt back up.


1 comment:

crazihippichic said...

My husband commented “those look store bought”. Little does he know that is actually an insult. These are better than store bought. Matched seams, reinforced stress points, pinked edges, attention to detail. Besides, moms put love into everything we make for our children. Stores can’t match that. ;-)