Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Blueberry Wine

This past Sunday I ventured out to gather blueberries. The bushes were quite picked over but I was determined. After close to 3 hours of picking I came away with 5 lbs. of berries. Being out in a field, in the hot sun, listening to the chatter of other pickers gave me a flashback to the 70's when I would pick raspberries, strawberries and cucumbers to earn money for school clothes. All that was missing was a transistor radio blaring 'Live and Let Die' and 'The Morning After'.


5lbs. of berries is enough to make 2 gallons of wine. But my smallest carboy holds 3 gallons. I need to stretch these berries a little further so am adding 12 ounces of white grape juice concentrate. This won't effect the wine's color but will add depth to the flavor.


Speaking of color, in order to get the best color from the blueberries I dissolved the sugar in 2 quarts of boiling water then added the must bags (I had to use 2) and used a potato masher to squish the berries. Heat changes the blueberry juice from green to lovely purple.


And here is the wine, next to 6 gallons of Green Apple Gewurztraminer (from a kit). I need more primary fermentors. I want to start some blackberry wine.

No comments: