Sunday, September 26, 2010

Zukes & Soup

I'm getting a bit behind in my blogging. This time of year gets busy, for me. The yarn shop demands much more of my attention in the fall and winter months. But I am still trying to make use of my garden. The zucchinis are once again growing faster than I can use them up. They never go to waste, since the chickens and the red worms love them, but I need to preserve some for the humans, as well. This is my first attempt at dehydrating zucchini. I sliced then thin, using a mandoline. Here are 4 racks full, ready to be dried.


And here they are, all dried and in jars. I will add them to soups throughout the winter months. These were 2 good sized zukes. The jars are small. Both smaller than pints.


And here is a picture of the basil that I had previously dried. This is 4 racks of basil, condensed down to one spice jar.


Fall is also the time when I dust off the crock pots. Here I am making some split pea soup. Before cooking for 10 hours.


And after. Errol and I are the only ones in the family who love this stuff. More for us!


SPLIT PEA SOUP (in crock pot)

1 lb split peas (washed, picked over, and drained)
2 smoked ham hocks with lots of meat
2 quarts water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 dried red peppers (optional)

Combine in the crock pot and cook at low for 10 hours. Remove ham hocks, cut meat from bones and chop into pieces. Return meat to soup. Serve and enjoy!

No comments: