Friday, February 8, 2013

Oh No! Nosema!

After doing some online research I have confirmed my growing suspicions. It looks like my weak hive has a Nosema outbreak. It is probable that I will lose that hive. I wish to be an organic beekeeper and don't want to rely on medications. I was hoping to learn how to keep my bees healthy using essential oils and have ordered a book on the subject but it may arrive too late to help this hive. I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I read about giving the colony a drench with sugar water to which bleach has been added. I hope to attempt that this weekend.

My other hive is probably also infected but to a lesser extent. These bees all came from the same colony which I split last summer. But this new hive is in a more shaded spot. That seems to have been their downfall.

If I do lose them I will disinfect the hive, move it to a sunnier location, and start again with some frames from the robust hive. 

No comments: