Wednesday, February 20, 2013

My Redneck Bee Feeder

The girls are starting to take in syrup at a faster rate. I needed to rig up a second community feeder. I'm not a woodworker or even very handy. All I needed was a way for the bees to get up under the jar lid. This is what I came up with. Just 2 pieces of wood and an inverted bucket. Not pretty but it works. When I sat it out this morning.


And after it warmed up into the low 40's. 

The Carniolan hive is much more active than the Italians. Not sure if it's because the Italians are sick, or in a colder spot in the yard, or if the Carniolans just like to get out and fly when it's colder.

Soon I'll be able to get in the hive and look around. I need to make sure both hives have queens. I think I want it to be into the 60's and sunny before I go digging around in there. Don't want to chill the brood.At that time I'll insert pollen patties and put the top feeders on. We want lots of strong, healthy bees so they can bring me gallons of honey this year. I know that spring is just around the corner. Look, both my chickens have begun laying again. They took the winter off. Slackers.

No comments: