Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Wonky Pound Sign Block

This is the second of the blocks for January, the Wonky Pound Sign.


Although it's considered a rather easy block I had a heck of a time with it. Maybe because I was working on it at 4am? Or because I was still having thread tension issues which caused my seams to pucker slightly? Whatever the reason, I had a terrible time getting the intersections of the lines to match up smoothly. There was some cursing, ripping and re-sewing involved. It all turned out fine in the end. I think I have my thread tension problem fixed. I loosened the bobbin tension a bit. Here is the back side of the block.


One of the best things to happen to quilting was the invention of the rotary cutter. But I am an awful klutz and have a fear of slicing off my digits. I know some quilters use special gloves while cutting but that seems cumbersome. I opted for this nifty suction handle, instead. You attach it to your quilting ruler and it gives you something to grip (to keep the ruler in place) and also keeps your hand up where it's safe.


Jo-Ann's currently has all their quilting supplies on sale for 50% off. I think I'll head back there today and try to find some handles that will fit my smaller templates.

No comments: