Sunday, March 20, 2011

I Love Spring


This is my favorite time of year. The weather is getting warmer, the plants are waking up and I have the whole growing season ahead of me. It makes my farm girl's heart go pitter-pat. I have been anxiously waiting for a dry day to coincide with one of my days off, in order to get out and play in the yard. Today I finally got the chance. I mowed and raked the lawn,


pruned the raspberry canes



and began to weed the gardens. The rhubarb are all weeded and ready for their springtime treat, a good dose of cow manure.


The raspberries will get some, too. The garlic prefer chicken manure, so I picked up a bag for them.


Kristine came to collect her bees and now I can get out there and prepare the vegetable garden for planting. But first I'll need to cut up all those apple prunings and put them in the garage to dry. I want to use those for smoking meats.
I found 2 pots, next to my garage, with daffodil bulbs which are ready to flower. I moved them closer to the house so I can enjoy them.


And here is my newest toy, my Envirocycle tumbling composter. It's holding today's grass clippings.

No comments: