Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Social Butterfly?

That's what I felt like this weekend. Saturday we had lunch with friends and Sunday evening we were invited to a dinner party. Our social life revolves around our pipe club and what a rich cast of characters we're exposed to. One of the guests at the dinner party was Neill Archer Roan. Even the pipe world has its rock stars and Neill is one of them. (Neill will also be the guest speaker at the annual Seattle Pipe Club Dinner on January 28, 2012). Also in attendance was our own Gary Schrier who's book 'Confessions of a Pipe Man' was featured on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. You have to watch the clip. It's hilarious. Especially if you're a pipe smoker. Click this link to go to Pipesmagazine.com web site then scroll down to watch the clip.

After that busy weekend I've been dragging a bit. I am still in a transitional state having not quite settled into retired life. I am focused on weeding out clutter from my house, getting my sewing room and fiber studio in order and making time each day for weaving and/or spinning. I have wound the warp for my second project (mini pinwheel place mats) but haven't warped the loom. I've been spinning, instead. I moved my Norwegian style wheel, Gudrun (named after my step-grandma), down to the living room. This way I can multi-task when I have the urge to watch T.V. I managed to get this much spun yesterday.


I'll give Gudrun a proper introduction in another post. Meanwhile I've been sidetracked with a new obsession, trying to acquire an older model sewing machine. One with an all metal body and gears. I have a line on a Singer Style-O-Matic 328. It has a cabinet, the manual and attachments (including decorative cams). If all goes well I'll be dragging it home this weekend. I haven't seen it and have no idea what condition it's in, but it is free, so the price is right. Speaking of free sewing machines, I've also been given this poor grimy serger.


Its been abused during it's life and is of dubious value. I have no idea if it even works. I'll have the husbeast look it over and make sure it's safe before I attempt to clean it up and see if it's operational.

No comments: