Thursday, January 24, 2013

Is That A Light I See?

We're coming to the end of the tunnel. Yesterday was crucial to the success of this project. I had to insert the sleeves and the zipper. The sleeves went in fairly easily. I pin basted the first one in place but had some shifting when machine sewing. I hand basted the second one in and it went more smoothly. The time consuming part was cleaning up the sleeve seams, pressing them, and catch stitching them neatly down. The end result is worth the extra effort. I need a bit of stay tape in the shoulder seams and I will also fashion some sleeve head tape from white fleece fabric. I think the sleeves will benefit from that additional detail. It will give a bit more structure to the sleeve cap which is looking slightly droopy right now.



The sleeves took most of the day to complete but I also needed to get the zipper inserted. I was up until 11 pm finishing that. I am thrilled with how it turned out.


I am nearing the finish line and am optimistic that I will be wearing this dress on Saturday. Today's tasks? Clean up the interior of the dress with more catch stitching, work the hems and get started on the lining. I am not sure I have enough lining fabric so may be making a quick run to JoAnn's.

No comments: