Thursday, July 18, 2013

All Finished With My Crazy HIppie Shirt

Ta Da!


That was a fun distraction. And it fits! I plan to wear it to breakfast at Shakabrah tomorrow. They have the best breakfast in Tacoma. We go there at least once a week.

Yesterday I knuckled under, ignored everything else, and finished the top. The sleeves have the same seam as the tunic sides, as well as matching decorative hem.


This shows what the reverse side of the decorative stitching looks like. I used a white polyester thread in the bobbin.


A close ip of the Kenmore 1914 sewing the decorative stitches.

The baby seam I used on the lining.

That seam is only 1/8" wide. It is a bit bulky, though, which I found out while hemming (see below). I learned this technique in a book I found at Half Price Books when they sent me some coupons.


Baby seams are found on page 18 & 19. The technique comes from designer Bill Travilla who is probably most famous for designing Marilyn Monroe's iconic halter dress for that scene in the 'Seven Year Itch'. For the narrow hem I used the model 1914 and a hem stitch foot.


 I started practising with a 3/8" foot but switched to a 1/4".There is a bit of a learning curve. I still haven't quite mastered it but I know that "in theory" it makes hemming easier. I had to spend extra time fixing my hemming boo-boos. And I learned that the baby seams are too fat to fit through the hemmer. But all in all I liked the result.


I basted the lining to the top, wrong sides together, and treated them like one faric from the armholes up.



The sleeves took a bit of easing. The sleeve caps were way too big for the holes and the notches didn't match up. Not even close. But I made it work. Here is a close up of the neckline featuring my home made bias tape.


It was a fun project and I learned a lot. The top is very comfortable and I know I'll be making many more of this design.

2 comments:

Pearl said...

Hey...that looks great! Hope to see a pic of you wearing it :-)

crazihippichic said...

I'm not very photogenic. Maybe I'll post a pic with my head cut off. LOL
We'll see.